I am delighted that Islington has given our Labour Council a massive vote of confidence at last Thursday’s Council elections. Thank you to everyone who voted for us – it is much appreciated and we don’t take your support for granted.
These were the best results for the Labour Party in Islington since 1974, and the first ‘repeat landslide’ since the 1970’s. The full results are on the Islington Labour website here.
There is no complacency as a result of this election. We were re-elected on an ambitious manifesto to really make our borough a fairer place.
My top priorities over the next few years will be:
- Building genuinely affordable homes for local residents
- Improving the quality of service for the Council’s tenants and leaseholders
- Ensuring that every young person gets the best possible start in life
- Ensuring that economic growth in the borough is inclusive, with job opportunities for local residents
- Ensuring the Council continues to have the confidence of residents and deliver high quality services, despite the on-going Tory cuts.
The people of Islington have elected 47 Labour community champions, and I’m proud of our team. I want to particularly thank Flora Williamson and Anjna Khurana who have been brilliant ward colleagues in Tollington ward.